Built in the 1750s, Rock House is reputed to be one of the oldest houses in Edinburgh’s new town. It came to worldwide fame as the home of David Octavius Hill, the artist and pioneering photographer who in 1843 together with Robert Adamson developed the calotype process at Rock House.
Both Hill and Adamson are credited with the origination of photography as an art form - taking the camera into the landscape and for the first time photographing people in their natural habitat.
Rock House remained in continuous use as a photographer's studio from the 1840s up until the 1950s. Recently renovated, it has now returned to its former glory and can be enjoyed by members of the public for short stays and holidays.
With thanks to the National Galleries of Scotland for use of their images.